Getting Information, Advice and Support

Help for your child if you have concerns

If you are concerned that your child may have:

  • speech and language needs
  • communication and interaction needs
  • an Autistic spectrum disorder
  • ADHD
  • a Learning or Physical difficulty
  • or a social and emotional developmental need

then you may want to attend one of the Educational Psychology/Specialist Teacher drop-ins at a children’s centre, talk to your health visitor, GP, a Paediatrician, a therapist, the SENCO at your child’s setting, the Mental Health Champion or the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

Help from Early Years

If your child is pre-school, and it is felt that your child may have:

  • a significant delay in their development
  • in communication and interaction
  • or in managing their behaviour

then your health visitor, nursery or Paediatrician may refer you to the Early Years triage. The Early Years Triage is made up of representatives from:

  • Health visitors
  • Speech and language therapy services
  • Educational Psychology
  • Portage
  • Autistic Spectrum Education Team
  • Behaviour Support 2-12
  • Other specialist teachers
  • and the Early Years Team

A member of staff from Triage will follow up each referral and involve other members of the group when needed.

Help if your child is of school age

If your child is school age and you have concerns about:

  • their development and progress at home and at school
  • including having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder or ADHD

then please talk to your SENCO/Mental Health Champion in school. They will be able to use the assessment toolkits they have been provided with and put some supportive strategies in place straight away. These toolkits have been designed by our specialist services. They include one for autism, one for behaviour and one for sensory differences. You can use the strategies suggested at home too.

Through the Graduated Approach they will gather information together and they will be able to refer your child to Specialist Teaching Services, Educational Psychology and CAMHS if appropriate.

The Children Centres can also give you advice and support or give you information about a useful course or activities for your child to join in with. The Children Centres have a close link with Health Visitors and nursing services. They offer guidance on sleep, positive behaviour strategies and living with teenagers.

Help from SENDIASS

The staff in the Special Educational Needs and Disability, Information and Advice Service (SENDIASS) are available to give you independent advice and support on a range of topics including:

  • special educational needs and disabilities
  • disability discrimination
  • medical needs
  • school admissions, transitions and exclusions
  • other issues such as bullying and transport

Help from the North Lincs PIP Forum

The Parents Involvement and Participation (PIP) is a forum/group to express the views of parents and carers of disabled children and those with special needs. They are made up of parents and carers who know on a practical daily basis just how challenging caring for a child with special educational needs and disability is.

PIP can give independent advice and guidance to parents and carers on a range of subjects, many of which they have experienced themselves.

Further Information


Children’s Centres

Health and Wellbeing Service


Tel: 0800 0199951



Tel: 01724 277665

Carers Support


Tel: 01652 650585

Children’s Advocacy

Tel:  01724 296639

Parents In Participation

Tel: 08453 889984

Website: North Lincolnshire PIP Forum

Facebook: com/pipforum

Twitter: @pipforum

Last modified: November 5, 2019