Transitions Service

Summary of service

Transitions is the term professionals use to describe how young people with SEND are supported to move from children’s services to services offering support when the young person reaches the age of 18 years. When the young person reaches the age of 18 they move into adult care services.

Preparing for Adulthood in transitions is a specialist disability service that offers advice, guidance and support to disabled young people who are making the move from Children’s Services to Adult Social Care.

For young people and their families, the moving from children’s to adults’ services can feel confusing and difficult.

  • There may not be a single equivalent service to support the young person after making the change from children’s services to adult care.
  • Adult Services view the young person as an independent adult capable of making decisions and consenting to services and sharing information about themselves with other people.

This change can be difficult to adjust to.

Planning and preparing early will help make it a more positive experience and build confidence and independence for moving to adults’ services.

The Complex Disability Team – transitions officer and children’s services work in partnership with young people with a range of disabilities/complex health needs and their families to start the planning for this change from year 9 (age 13 or 14) at the latest. For many young people, transition plans will be part of their Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP).

To support the young person, a transition worker will take on a coordinating role and will act as a link to other professionals and provide advice and information for the young person to meet their needs and to look at all aspects of their life, care and support needs. This procedure is based on an awareness of and commitment to ‘person centred’ approaches. The person centred approach just means that at every stage of the process of moving from children’s to adult care services staff always focus on the needs of the person, planning is led by the person’s choices and preferences as far as is practicably possible. Review and update to a ‘person centred’ plan will take place every year. A meeting will take place and include the young person, their family and/or their circle of support, either in person or via telephone.

The transitions officer should consider each of the Preparing for Adult outcomes when supporting the young person to plan and set their goals: These outcomes are a set of expectations set out by legislation and are as follows:

If a young person, young carer or an adult caring for a child is likely to have needs when they, or the child they care for turns 18, North Lincolnshire Council must assess them if it considers there is a ‘significant benefit’ to the person in doing so. This is regardless of whether the child or person currently receives any services.

In all cases it is good practice for a young person’s eligibility for adult services to have been firmly established as soon as possible within the person’s 16th year of age and no later than 17 and a half, depending on the level and complexity of need and planning required. It should not be seen as the duty of the service that a person in moving from children’s services to adult care is being referred to (unless specifically the remit of the team) to carry out in-depth clinical ‘diagnostic’ assessments.

Some indicators of eligibility for supporting young people moving from childrens to adult social care are:

The young person is disabled and:

  • has a Statement of Special Education Needs or an Education Health and Care Plan and has been assessed as having severe learning difficulties and / or autism and / or a physical or sensory impairment and / or a mental health problem
  • or, is “Looked After” and has a Statement of Special Education Needs or Education Health and Care Plan identifying them as having learning difficulties, physical disability or sensory impairments which would mean that they would be deemed to be vulnerable as young adults
  • or, is a care leaver and whose continuing needs will require referral on to Adult Services
  • or, receives a service from the council’s Children’s and Young Peoples Social Care Service’s ‘Disabled Children’s Team’

When a young person turns 18, the support they require will usually be provided by adult services. Between the ages of 16 and 18, the child will start a ‘transition’ to adult services. This should involve all the services that can support that young person who may have a more that one set of needs. For example:

  • health and social care
  • mental health
  • education
  • financial benefits for the young person and their family
  • work
  • housing
  • relationships

Transition and moving from one service to another should be an ongoing process rather than a single event, and tailored to suit the child’s needs.

A young carer is a person under 18 years old who regularly cares for a family member with a physical disability, mental health problem or/ and drug or alcohol problem. Their day to day responsibilities might include cooking, cleaning, nursing or personal care, shopping, childcare for siblings or giving emotional support to the adult they care for.

Children are often very happy to help their parent or family member and it can be very positive, but children also have the right to be looked after, to have their own time to play, develop and learn.

We aim to reduce the most negative effects that some young carers experience and recognise that those young carers who are well adapted to their caring role may also benefit from support and time out. Caring (whether young or old) can carry a cost in terms of emotional stress, financial pressure and can damage relationships and many carers report experiencing social isolation.

Referrals will be considered when the level of care-giving and responsibility to the person in need of care significantly affects the young person in any way.

What can we provide?

An assessment of the young person’s needs in relation to the care they provide:

  • help to find the right support for the young carer and their family
  • group activities and opportunities to have a break from caring

Meeting a new team

Transition (moving from) children services to adult services will mean a young person may start seeing a different team. This may cause anxiety for a young person as the teams they know and are used to working with, change. It’s important everyone involved understands the process, and feels supported and prepared to try to ensure that changes are as smooth as possible. There should be a detailed exchange of information between the teams.

What can we provide?

  • Support to make new friendships and relationships
  • Transitional planning and education advice for parents about what moving from children’s service to adult care support involves
  • Monetary benefits for the young person and their family
  • Support in moving from school into work
  • Supported Housing

We work with schools, colleges and other agencies to raise awareness about young people and young carers, including how to identify and support them effectively.

Watch our video, preparing for adulthood

Further Information

Contact Us

Children’s Disability Service

Brumby Learning Centre
Grange Lane North
DN16 1BN


Tel: 01724 407 988

Last modified: April 2, 2019